The Pine Tree Independent School District Board of Trustees met in Regular session at 5:45 p.m. on March 5, 2014 in the Pine Tree ISD Administration Building Boardroom located at 1701 Pine Tree Road, Longview, Texas.
President Charley Peck called the meeting to order. Members present included Charley Peck, president; Cynthia Hellen, vice-president; Pat Noon, secretary; Kerri Daugbjerg, Will Adamson, Terre Dunn, Dr. Craig Meek, and Dr. TJ Farler, Superintendent.
Other administrators present were James Skeeler, Tony Hollins, Judy Downing, Dr. Daya Hill, Cindy Gabehart, Vanessa Robinson, Lara Cavin, Dr. Carla McAvoy, Jon Pollard, Vickie Echols, Debbie Terry, David Collins, Michelle Mitchell, Cathy Schmidt, Terri Werth, Kristin Byrd, Dr. Quentin Woods, Viki Sparks, Nicolle Davis, and Suzanne Shackelford. Charley Peck gave the invocation.
Students from the middle school led the pledges to the United States Flag and the Texas State Flag. Four middle school students presented their projects, which qualified for the Regional Science Fair. High School Varsity Girls Basketball and High School Regional Swimmers were recognized.
Laura Hill, City of Longview, presented a Certificate of Recognition to Pine Tree ISD for Texas Public School Week. Dr. Farler asked board members if they would like to report on their visit to the campuses for Board Appreciation Month. Dr. Farler reported that Pine Tree ISD has submitted a letter of collaboration to LeTourneau University in support of their project, No Obstacles: Leading Innovative Mathematics into Limitless Service (NO LIMITS), to be funded by the National Science Foundation’s Robert Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program.
Assistant Superintendent James Skeeler presented the current enrollment, attendance percentages, campus class counts and three options for the board to consider that would bring Pine Tree to the required $2.45 Weighted Average Price for student lunch for 2014-15. For the current year, we have a Weighted Average Price of $2.40. Lunch prices will be an action item on the next board agenda.
Assistant Superintendent Dr. Daya Hill reviewed the results of the Curriculum Based Assessments and Benchmarks, gave an update on House Bill 5, and reported on instructional technology – professional learning.
Assistant Superintendent James Skeeler reviewed policy FDA(LOCAL) – Admissions Interdistrict Transfers. Changes for FDA(LOCAL) will be an action item on the next board agenda.
Action Items Voted on:
- Old Pirate Stadium – approved the demolition of the home side bleachers and dirt work for the slab at no cost to the District and installation of the slab, bleachers, and press box for a total of $151,466.67 to be paid for by bond funds. Bleachers will seat 1,000 and Pine Tree Facility Services Department will make changes to the home side restrooms and concessions.
- Approved Financial Report as presented:
- February disbursements o Deletions to the tax roll o Budget Amendments o Purchase Orders over $25,000
- Approved Consent Action Items
- Board Minutes from the February 10, 2014, and February 24, 2014 Board of Trustees meetings o District Contracts and Agreements
- Medieval Times – Junior High Student Trip to Medieval Times.
- Authorize Dr. Teresa J. Farler to execute the agreement. Walsh, Anderson, Gallegos, Green & Trevino Attorneys at Law – Annual retainer for legal service. Authorize Dr. Teresa J. Farler to execute the agreement.
- LOMC – Annual random drug and alcohol testing agreement for transportation. Authorize Dr. Teresa J. Farler to execute the agreement.
- Tri-City Charter - – This agreement is requested by the junior high math/science team during the state meet on 04/12/14 in San Antonio. Authorize Dr. Teresa J. Farler to execute the agreement.
- Chuck’s Travel Coaches – This agreement is for two motor coaches to transport band to state solo and ensemble contest. This is under review by legal counsel. Authorize Dr. Teresa J. Farler to execute the agreement after legal review.
- Hyatt Place Austin/Arboretum – This contract is for catering services for the band while attending the band solo and ensemble contest in Austin. This is under legal review. Authorize Dr. Teresa J. Farler to execute the agreement after legal review. Hyatt Place – This agreement will allow the district to reserve rooms for the state solo/ensemble contest in May 2014.This is under legal review. Authorize Dr. Teresa J. Farler to execute the agreement after legal review.
- Robert A. Valentine – This is the district's standard agreement for consulting. This agreement is for the historical, theatrical and performance consultation of a performance “The Wizard’s Birthday” which will be part of the Innovation Showcase. Authorize Dr. Teresa J. Farler to execute the agreement.
- TestHound Subscription Services Agreement – This agreement is a state testing software program to be used to organize and track testing throughout the district. This is under legal review. Authorize Dr. Teresa J. Farler to execute the agreement after legal review.
- Donations to the district this month are $3,869.09 o TEA Waiver - for Low Attendance on February 12, 2014 o Student Overnight Trip over 350 Miles Away – HS DECA State Competition
- Order of Appointment – for Election Judge, Janice Benton, and Alternate Judge, James Buchanan, for the May 10, 2014 Board of Trustees election.
- Approved hiring David Costlow as a contract employee and Mercedes Bixby and Jean Dixon as at-will employees for 2013-14 school year.
- Approved a contract and compensation for Dr. TJ Farler effective July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2017. The contract includes a monthly car allowance for travel in Region 7 area and monthly technology allowance.
Information items presented:
Resignation of contract employees Annette Johnson, Clifton Keeling, Lesa Sanders, Catherine Schmidt, and Ashley Williams and at-will employee Timothy Collins.Complete official minutes will be posted after approval at the April 14, 2014 board meeting.