Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Pine Tree Student Walks After Decade in Wheelchair


November 5th was a big day for 7th grade football team, but not because they just played ball. Their team mate, Tyler Bain demonstrated a lesson for life. Tyler set a goal to walk on the field after being in a wheelchair for over 10 years. None of the students on his team knew that he had been working toward this goal, and he wanted to be able to accomplish walking in front of all of them that night.

A car accident left Tyler paralyzed at age three. After hours of practicing in therapy sessions he wanted to send a message to his fellow students that anything can be accomplished if you put your mind to it.

"I have my ups and downs, I admit it," said Bain. "But I don't quit and the next day I get right back up and say, hey I can do this."

Coach Paul Ellsworth named Tyler the "Honorary Team Captain" for the game night. Coach Ellsworth is a Texas History teacher at PT Junior High and in addition to coaching JH football also coaches JH basketball, and HS softball.



No comments: