President Charley Peck called the meeting to order. Members present included Charley Peck, president; Terre Dunn, vice-president; Pat Noon, secretary; Will Adamson, Craig Meek, MD, Kerri Daugbjerg, Cynthia Hellen, and Dr. TJ Farler, Superintendent. Craig Meek, MD gave the invocation
Other administrators present were James Skeeler, Tony Hollins, Judy Downing, Dr. Daya Hill, Becky Balboa, Melinda Tidwell, Dr. Carla McAvoy, Cindy Gabehart, Vanessa Robinson, Vickie Echols, Cathy Schmidt, Jon Pollard, Michelle Mitchell, Debbie Terry, Scott Mann, and Amanda Pitre.
Mr. Skeeler led the pledges to the United States Flag and the Texas State Flag. Judy Downing, Chief Financial Officer and Business Office Staff, were recognized and presented with a certificate from the State for earning a 2013 Gold Leadership Circle Award for Financial Transparency. This is the third year in a roll to earn this award.
President Charley Peck asked Cynthia Hellen, Marketing Committee Chairperson, to give an update on the marketing for the new athletic complex.
Superintendent Dr. Farler asked Ken Kessler, PBK Architects, to give an update on the bond projects and asked Dr. Daya Hill, Assistant Superintendent, to give a state accountability overview.
James Skeeler, Assistant Superintendent, reviewed the Pine Tree ISD Strategic Plan for 2013-14 school year.
President Charley Peck opened the public meeting and Chief Financial Officer Judy Downing discussed the current tax rate for Maintenance & Operations (M&O) of $1.17 and School Debt Service (I&S) of $.3410 for a total tax rate of $1.5110. The district received certified values on July 23, 2013 and the certified values reflected a 3.56% decline from the 2012 property values. If the Board adopts the same tax rate, part of the bond debt will have to be paid out of the M&O funds because the I&S rate of $.3410 will not cover the bond payment. There were not any comments during the public meeting. The public meeting was closed and the regular board meeting was reconvened.
Action Items Voted on:
- Tabled the adoption of a 2013 tax rate and will schedule another meeting for more discussion
- Approved Financial Report as presented:
- July disbursements
- Purchase Orders over $25,000
- Budget Amendments
- Approved the annual review of investments, investment officer resolution, broker/financial consultant list and continuing education providers
- Approved to accept the proposal from RWL, LLC for the construction of the storage building at the new athletic complex
- Approved the bids for food items, paper supplies, and chemicals for the Child Nutrition Department as recommended for the 2013-14 school year by Michelle Mitchell, Child Nutrition Director
- Approved First Reading of TASB Update 97, affecting (Local) policies
- Approved Student Code of Conduct for the 2013-14 school year
- Approved 2013-14 Application for State Accountability Waiver – C-SCOPE Curriculum
- Approved authorizing Board Marketing Committee to negotiate the Sponsorship Agreement for Pirate Cove and Billboards Ads for the 2013-14 season
- Minutes from the July 8, 2013, July 23, 2013, and July 26, 2013 Board of Trustees meetings
- District Contracts and Agreements
- REGION 7 EDUCATION SERVICE CENTER – There are two contracts presented – one for the period September 1, 2012 through August 31, 2013 and one for the period September 1, 2013 – August 31, 2014. Region 7 will provide services for delivery and support of a professional development workshop system. Authorize Dr. Teresa J. Farler to execute the contracts/agreements.
- KILGORE COLLEGE – This agreement represents services provided by Kilgore College to provide afternoon dual-credit cosmetology classes for high school students. Authorize Dr. Teresa J. Farler to execute the agreement.
- LETOURNEAU UNIVERSITY – This contract allows the district to use Solheim pool and the locker rooms for a summer swim camp to be held August 19-21, 2013. Authorize Dr. Teresa J. Farler to execute the agreement.
- LETOURNEAU UNIVERSITY – This contract allows the district to use Solheim pool and the locker rooms for swimming practices and meets. Authorize Dr. Teresa J. Farler to execute the agreement.
- TERRA RENEWAL – This agreement represents services provided to the district for cooking oil and grease trap removal for the district cafeterias. Authorize Dr. Teresa J. Farler to execute the agreement.
- THERAPY AND BEYOND, LLC – This agreement represents services provided by Therapy and Beyond, LLC for teacher workshops, classroom observations and teacher coaching within classrooms. Authorize Dr. Teresa J. Farler to execute the agreement.
- Second Reading of FDA(LOCAL) Policy
- List of Professional Appraisers
- Teacher Appraisal Calendar
- Approved hiring Nicolle Davis, Rebecca Greer, E. Sharla Powell, Jessica Schick, Rebecca Shelton, and Diane Wilcox as contract employees for the 2013-14 school year
- Approved letter of agreement to Sandra Skoog for the 2013-14 school year
- Approved hiring Dawn Barber, Michelle Bethard, Debbie Peurifoy, Sarah Porterfield, and Mindi Turner as at-will employees for 2013-14 school year.
- Resignation of contract employees: Cynthia Duckworth and Emily Linares
- Resignation of at-will employees: Tiffany Buffin, Linda Diane Garner, Denise Laster, and Kathy Meadows
Complete official minutes will be posted after approval at the September 9, 2013 board meeting.